Every other week, Sun City Church hosts a Meet Up. It’s a way for people to find out more about who we are and our vision for this new church in the Spokane Valley. But it is also a lot more than that. Every time we gather together something beautiful happens; new friendships are born and young friendships are strengthened. As we mingle around the room talking with people, we hear laughter, overhear people introducing their families, and see people enjoying each other’s company. While Sun City Church is still a few months from actually launching a service (January 18th is a our launch date), the community of our church is already forming. And the stories that will be written because of these friendships are in their first chapters.
As amazing as Meet Ups are, we also understand the reservation that many people have to attend one. Here are 8 objections we often hear:
1. I am looking for a church to belong to but I don’t want anyone trying to sign me up to serve in any capacity on a launch team.
2. I already know what Sun City Church is about because I read your website front to back, twice.
3. I am not very good with people and the thought of a room full of people wanting to talk with me makes me anxious.
4. I actually attended a Meet Up once and met everyone already and know all about them SO been there, done that.
5. I don’t like eating food that other people make. You never know what they might have put in it.
6. I am not sure how my kids will behave and it might embarrass me. Better not to risk it.
7. I am interested in learning more about this church but I don’t want anyone stalking me. Can I come incognito? (Ok, fine. No one actually asked that but we could read it all over their faces.)
8. I am waiting to see if this is something worth being part of it. Give me a couple years to observe things and then I will definitely know.
All of these are pretty good arguments. It is true that relationships are risky, sometimes we put sugar in our food, and we are definitely passionate about connecting people into a place where they can serve others because we believe that is what takes a group and transforms them into a family. But here is what is also true: we genuinely want to get to know you, help you take the next step in your relationship with God, and see you flourish inside of the good plans God already has written out for you. And we don’t want you to miss out on this initial season of the Sun City community forming because we are witnessing something beautiful taking place.
Friendships are forming. People are reaching out to each other and partnering together in prayer. Hope is springing up of being part of the story of God unfolding in Spokane. Conversations about being in small groups, joining the worship team, working with Sun City Kids, learning about the communication team, and building a bridge for unchurched people to discover the love of God are taking place. Something is happening inside of the Sun City community that will only happen once. We will look back at this season for years and decades to come and we will remember with fondness these first days of Sun City Church becoming a reality.
If God is stirring in your heart to be a part of this church, if you have felt disconnected and far from where God wants you, if there is a longing in your heart to be a part of something bigger than yourself then we don’t want you to delay and somehow miss this opportunity to be involved on the ground level of what God is doing here. The Message version of Hebrews 12:1-2 says, “Do you see what this means- all these pioneers who blazed the way, all these veterans cheering us on? It means we’d better get on with it. Strip down, start running- and never quit! No extra spiritual fat, no parasitic sins.” In order to run the race God has called us to, we have to lay aside the things weighing us down. Maybe it is time to set the objections aside and say, “Yes!” to what God has placed on your heart.
Join us for a Meet Up. See for yourself what God is doing among us. And get excited for the days ahead, God is just getting started here.